What Is A Bounce House?
A bounce house, also known as a moonwalk, is an inflatable structure in which people (children, teens and adults) can jump and play.
Bounce houses are often rented for parties and other special events. They come in a variety of sizes, shapes, and colors. Some have slides attached to them, while others are simply large inflated domes.
Some bounce houses are made with a sturdy material, such as a canvas or PVC. Others are simply made of thin air, like balloons and other inflatables. These will often pop during use and need to be replaced after use.
Image Source: www.aeairjumper.com
History: Who Invented The Bounce House?
Bounce houses are quite a common site at carnivals, birthday parties, and other celebrations. But where did they come from? How did they become so popular?
The modern bounce house is a descendant of the moonwalk, which in turn was based on a toy invented by an American named John Scurlock.
In the early 1960s, Scurlock was working as a contractor for the US military when he came up with the idea of filling an inflatable ball with air and then bouncing on it.
He dubbed his invention the ‘bounce ball’, and quickly found a following among local children. Bounce houses fully got their start in the early 1990s and became popular in the United States in the early 2000s.
The first one was made out of vinyl and had an inflatable floor and walls. It could hold up to 12 people at a time. The bounce house was an instant hit. It was fun and exciting and everyone wanted to try it out.
Soon, they began appearing at carnivals and other events all over the country. Today, they are a staple at any celebration where kids are present.
How To Use A Bounce House: What Should You Know Before Using A Bounce House?
A bounce house is a great way for children to have fun and get some exercise. But before you use one, there are a few things you need to know:
- First, make sure the bounce house is anchored down securely.
- Second, don’t let too many children inside at once.
- Third, always supervise children while they’re playing in the bounce house (for safety reasons).
- Fourth, be aware of the weight limit – not all bounce houses can accommodate large teens/adults.
- Finally, remove any sharp objects from the area before using the bounce house.
Some Fun Things To Do In A Bounce House
It’s a sunny day and you’re looking for something to do. You could go to the park, but you’ve done that before. You could go watch a movie, but you’ve probably also done that too.
What about going to a bounce house? They’re all over town and they’re always packed with kids having a good time. Here are some fun things you can do at a bounce house:
- Play tag or other games of chase.
- Bounce around as high as you can.
- Jump off the bounce house into the pit of foam blocks.
- Climb on the inflatable obstacles course.
- Freeze Bounce
- Dance Party
- Bouncy House Dodgeball
What Are The Different Types Of Bounce Houses?
Most people have experienced a bounce house at one point or another in their life. Whether it was at a carnival, a party, or even just a friend’s house, bouncy houses are always a hit.
But what are they? And more importantly, what are the different types of bounce houses?
There are several different types of bounce houses, but the three most common ones are the: Standard Bounce Houses, Combo Houses, and Inflatable Slides.
- Standard Bounce Houses are the most common type of bounce house. They’re generally square or rectangular and have an inflatable floor and walls.
- Combo Houses are a great investment for any family fun activity/event. This means that they can be used for both summer and winter activities. They are made out of durable vinyl and have mesh windows so that parents can keep an eye on their children.
- Inflatable slides typically fall into the category of the most expensive type of bounce houses one can buy. They can be used for both summer and winter, but they’re best used in the summer months.
How Big Do Bounce Houses Get?
A bounce house is a great addition to any party, but how do you know how big of a bounce house to get? Begin by considering the age of your guests.
- Bounce houses for toddlers and smaller children are typically 3 – 6 feet high with a 6-foot square jumping area. These typically have low ceilings, and a small amount of bounce in them, this is to ensure it’s suitable for young children and toddlers.
- For bigger kids, there are larger bounce houses available with up to 8-foot jumping area. If you’re expecting a lot of guests, or if there will be a mix of ages, it’s always best to go with a larger size.
When measuring for space, make sure you have at least 20 feet by 20 feet cleared away for the bounce house and plenty of room for people to gather around safely. You don’t want anyone getting injured in the rush for a jump.
Bounce house sizes range from small, medium, and large.
- The small bounce house is typically 4 – 7 feet wide and 4 – 7 feet high.
- The medium bounce house is typically 8 – 13 feet wide and 8 – 13 feet high.
- The large bounce house is typically 13 – 22 feet wide and 13 – 22 feet high.
How Safe Are Bounce Houses?
They’re relatively safe when rules are adhered to. According chla.org, more than 1/3 of injuries in a bounce house occurred in children under the age of 5 years.
Bounce houses are often rented for birthday parties, church events, and other celebrations. While they can be a lot of fun, they can also be dangerous.
Injuries have occurred when children have fallen out of bounce houses, been hit by other children, or have been injured by the equipment itself.
To prevent these accidents, parents and adults should always make sure that children are supervised at all times.
Parents and adults should also be aware of the equipment’s weight limits. Bounce house injuries can cause serious or even fatal injuries.
How Can You Stay Safe While Using A Bounce House?
Here are some tips while using a bounce house:
- Only use a bounce house if there are adults present to supervise.
- Make sure the bounce house is anchored down properly before using it.
- Don’t let kids jump on the sides of the bounce house or climb on top of it.
- Keep an eye on kids at all times while they’re in the bounce house.
- Don’t let too many kids use the bounce house at once.
- Get out of the bounce house if you start feeling lightheaded or dizzy.
How Much Do Bounce House Rentals Cost?
They are often rented for a few hours to provide entertainment for children. But how much do bounce houses cost?
The price of a bounce house rental can vary depending on the size, location, and company you choose. Generally, you can expect to pay between $250 and $700 for a four-hour rental.
Larger bounce houses that accommodate more children would typically cost more. If you live in a populated area with lots of competing businesses, you may find that prices are higher than in rural areas.
Before renting a bounce house, be sure to ask about any additional costs such as delivery fees or required insurance. Some companies also require a damage deposit before delivering the bounce house.
What Are The Most Popular Bounce Houses On The Market?
There are a few different types of bounce houses on the market, but which one is the most popular?
- Inflatable bounce houses are the most popular type of bounce house on the market as they’re more easily accessible than the other types. These bouncers are made of vinyl and can be inflated with an air pump. They come in a variety of shapes and sizes, and can accommodate up to several children at once.
- Another type of bounce house is the combo bounce house. This type of house combines features of both an inflatable bouncer and a slide. It is perfect for children who want to have some fun indoors and outdoors.
- The last type of bounce house on the market is the water slide bouncer.
How To Clean and Store A Bounce House
A bounce house is a great addition to any backyard party, but it’s important to clean and store it properly so it’s ready for the next use. Here are some tips for cleaning and storing a bounce house:
- Clean the bounce house immediately after use. This will help remove any dirt or debris that may have gathered within during use.
- Use a hose to spray down the inside and outside of the bounce house. Be sure to get into all the nooks and crannies.
- Wash off any food or drink spills with soap and water.
- Dry the bounce house off completely before storing it (You don’t want odd smells the next time you use it).
- Store the bounce house in a dry place, away from direct sunlight or heat sources.